Authorised approvers are responsible for the review and approval of expense claims. The How to review and approve expenses claims page gives full information on the responsibilities of authorised approvers.
Authorised approvers are managed in eExpenses through ‘master accounts’ to which named approvers are added as delegates. This allows for more than one approver at each level, to manage workload and cover absences. There are three levels in the eExpenses hierarchy:
- £0.01: finance team review of claims
- £1,000: financial approval of claims
- £10,000: financial approval of claims
A claim for more than £10,000 should be split over more than one claim in eExpenses, if it is for multiple items. If it is a claim for a single item, it should be discussed with the HAF (Head of Administration and Finance) or equivalent.
It is advisable to include at least two approvers at each level in the hierarchy:
- To provide cover, for example for holidays or absence (it is not possible to set up temporary delegations or vacation rules in eExpenses)
- As claims cannot be self-approved, if a claimant is the only person with a specific approval role their submitted claim will not be approved and a request to add an additional approver will need to be completed
Use the eExpenses Approver and Administrative Roles form to add, amend or remove authorised approvers.
When deciding who should fulfil authorised approver roles, consider:
- An expense claim will flow up the hierarchy until it reaches an approver with a high enough limit to approve it (for example, a claim for £5,000 would be approved by all three levels)
- An approver can be in more than one level (this may be useful for small departments with limited staff to obtain sufficient cover) but means the same person approving some claims more than once
- The majority of expense claims are for up to £1,000 which means the people delegated this approval limit will be authorising the majority of expense claims for your department
- If your HAF (or equivalent) should approve the majority of claims, they should be made the approver level 2 (authorisation limit of up to £1,000) and you then have options to consider for approval level 3 (authorisation limit of up to £10,000):
- HAF: which means they approve claims of more than £1,000 and up to £10,000 twice
- Head of department
- Divisional contact:
- Divisional teams have agreed to be approvers at the £10,000 limit if required (for example, in smaller departments)
- If you want to add a divisional contact for claims of up to £10,000, please contact your DFC (Divisional Financial Controller) before making the request