The University arranges the following liability insurance policies: Employers Liability Insurance Public / Products Liability Insurance Professional Indemnity Insurance
With all legal liability insurances cover operates only for those acts or omissions for which there is a liability at law.
Legal requirements for liability insurances differ for staff based overseas. In order to arrange insurance to suit the relevant country's legal requirements please contact email@example.com
If you think that a claim, summons or legal correspondence concerning the above could potentially arise after an event, you should contact the Insurance Office or Legal Services Office immediately.
To support the Insurance Office with the claims process, we ask that Departments:
- Carry out prompt and thorough accident investigation.
- Provide all relevant documentation and assist with the claim investigation process to enable the Insurance Office to comply with the timeframes set down by the Civil Procedure Rules.
- Forward details of any claim or potential claim to the Insurance Office immediately.
- Do not respond to any claim including acknowledgement.
- Do not admit liability for any incident.
- Do not provide any documentation to the claimant or their representative.
The following Departmental excesses will apply (Per Claim):
- Employers Liability - Nil.
- Public Liability - Third Party Personal Injury - Nil.
- Public Liability - Third Party Property Damage - £2,000.
- Professional Indemnity - £2,500.
Claims Portal: Important Information for Claimant Solicitors
The University of Oxford expects that all related notification of claims from Solicitors or Claimant Representatives will be by means of an electronic Claim Notification Form (CNF) submitted direct to its Insurer through the portal. The following information is provided to assist you in submitting public and employers liability claims directly via the portal:
Public Liability & Employers Liability insurance provider:-
Zurich Municipal Insurance
Zurich Municipal Claims
PO Box 3310
Royal Wootten Bassett
Policy No: NHE-18CA04-0023
Portal Compensator ID: C00108
Registration of drones
Information on the registration and training requirements for operating and flying drones in the UK can be found at the University Safety Office website.
Use of drones by the University
Liability cover is available, upon application, for the use of drones and unmanned aerial vehicles, on University business, as follows:
- Liability cover for unmanned aerial vehicles up to 20kg in weight excluding fuel but inclusive of any articles or equipment installed in or attached to the vehicle at the commencement of flight. Subject to the operator complying with all legislation and licensing regulations.
- In respect of any Injury, damage or financial loss sustained in connection with unmanned aerial vehicles the limit of indemnity provided is £5,000,000.
- Requests for cover should be submitted to the University Insurance Team. Please note full details of the vehicle and activity will be required along with a copy of a detailed risk assessment, approved by the University Safety Office.
Use of drones by a third party
In order to consider the use of drones by a third party in or around University buildings or at University organised events, the department should
- Provide the University Insurance Team with a detailed risk assessment as well as confirmation that all requirements of the Civil Aviation Authority are complied with.
- Provide evidence of the operator’s liability insurance specifically for the flying of drones (standard public liability insurance does not always include such cover). A minimum £10 million limit of indemnity is required.
- Notify Oxford University Security Services (OUSS) http://www.admin.ox.ac.uk/ouss/ Tel: 01865 (2)72944
The University’s liability insurance policies are subject to Financial or Trade Sanctions endorsements, meaning the Insurer shall not provide coverage or be liable to provide any indemnity or payment or other benefit under the policies if and to the extent that doing so would breach any sanction, prohibition or restriction imposed by law or regulation.
Please also see the Finance Division Sanctions Guidance and Financial Sanctions Policy
Anti-Money Laundering and Sanctions Guidance | Finance Division (ox.ac.uk)
The University’s professional indemnity insurance policy is subject to a territorial exclusion which excludes all activities conducted in or into the Russian Federation, the Republic of Belarus and Ukraine.
For proposed activities in or to Ukraine please refer to the Insurance Office for further guidance.
: Motor and Travel 01865 (6)16078
Buildings, Contents and Liability 01865 (6)16012
Our Contact Address:
Oxford Mutual Ltd
University of Oxford
23-38 Hythe Bridge Street,