The steps below provide an overview of the process for appointing a new casual worker/teacher:
- A new casual worker is identified. An hourly rate of pay must be agreed – this must correspond to the appropriate grade for the work undertaken.
- A right to work check must be completed before the worker undertakes any work.
- The manager must notify their administrative/HR team about a new casual worker, before the worker undertakes any work, in accordance with the department's local procedures (departments using the HRIS Data Service should follow the guidance on the Data Services SharePoint site).
- If the casual worker does not have a current casual appointment for the same type of work (same sub-category) in the same department on People XD, the administrative/HR team will need to create a People XD appointment for them. All new appointments should be completed (i.e. commenced and approved) by the published casual payroll deadline, following the guidance on the HR Systems webpage (failure to complete the setup will result in the payment being rejected when the payment spreadsheet is imported).
- Details of a valid right to work check must be entered onto the People XD record before any payments are submitted to Payroll. Failure to enter details of a valid right to work check into People XD may lead to the worker’s pay being withheld. A casual letter of engagement or casual teacher contract for services must be provided to the worker, along with a Staff starter form to collect equality data required for HESA, as detailed in sections D2 and E of QRG PA11.
- The department (HR or line manager – depending on local procedures) must complete a Casual Payment Submission Spreadsheet with details of payments for all casual workers to be paid that month (one form per month). The spreadsheet must be password protected and e-mailed to firstname.lastname@example.org by the published casual payroll deadline. All payments must be recorded as an hourly rate against hours worked. See the Casual Payment Spreadsheet Online Guide , or PA12 Completing the payment submission spreadsheet for casuals for guidance on completing the spreadsheet.
- The Payroll office will upload all payment spreadsheets directly to the CorePay module. If spreadsheets are not completed correctly payment could be delayed until the following month.