Casual Payment Process FAQS

Expand All

All casual workers are entitled to statutory paid annual leave. See the Personnel Services web pages. Payment for annual leave taken should be included on the casual payment spreadsheet in hours using the relevant pay code for Holiday Pay.

The casual payment spreadsheet requires departments to enter the project code in the CoreHR format (not the Oracle R12 format). 

You can locate the Core format for a project code by looking it up in the cost allocation screen in the CorePersonnel back office.  Alternatively, report PERDEP13_Active Cost Centres and Project Codes allows you to search for the Core project code on a variety of criteria such as department code, all or part of the Oracle code, or all or part of the description. The report then returns all matching codes in both the Oracle and CoreHR formats. 

If you are completing the casual worker payment spreadsheet but you do not have access to CoreHR, you will need to ask the person in your department who is responsible for creating the casual worker records in CoreHR to provide you with this information.  

If you would like access to CoreHR on a read-only or reporting basis for this purpose, please follow the HRIS process for arranging access.

E-mail and they will send you your signatory register for updating.

New legislation, which came into force in March 2017, requires public sector bodies, including the University, to report on gender pay gaps for its whole workforce, including casual workers. To meet this legal requirement it is necessary for us to record hours worked on a weekly basis against an hourly rate. Capturing this information has other benefits; it enables the University to monitor compliance with hours restrictions on certain visas and gives us visibility of compliance with our duty as a Living Wage employer.  For more information, including guidance on hours worked, see the Gender pay gap reporting page on the Personnel Services website.

It is important to submit timesheets to Payroll as soon as possible after the work has been undertaken.  If you have any outstanding payments for work that pre-dates the 52 week range permitted on the payment spreadsheet please email for advice on what action to take.

You must password protect your payment spreadsheet with the password provided to you by Payroll or the HRIS Support Centre before submitting it.  See the Information Security video for guidance on how to password protect an Excel spreadsheet. If you do not know your password, please contact the Payroll team on 01865 (6)16301.

Yes. The final column on the spreadsheet shows the total value for each line (either the cash value entered or the hours multiplied by the hourly rate).

Payroll would prefer to have one submission. Multiple submissions from the same department risks creating duplicate payments.

Yes, Payroll would prefer to receive fewer spreadsheets so please combine different department codes on the same spreadsheet wherever possible.

No, the spreadsheet must be completed retrospectively - i.e. only hours that have been worked should be submitted for payment.

Yes the P45 (or staff starter form (starter checklist) if no P45 is available) should be sent to Payroll as soon as possible after the worker has arrived.

Payments are not made directly into foreign bank accounts via the payroll. The Payroll Team has to request them to be made through Accounts Payable. This process can take several days longer than payment into a UK bank, so the individual should be prepared for a delay, and not expect funds to be available on the normal payday.

If the engagement covers a period of more than 12 weeks (one year for casual teachers) you should set them up on a full University contract.  Please refer to the Personnel Services web pages for further details.

Contact us

  : Payroll Services
       Finance Division
       University of Oxford
       23-38 Hythe Bridge Street
       Oxford, OX1 2ET

  :  01865 (6) 16301