Departments have the discretion to offer a relocation allowance to new colleagues joining the University to cover the costs of moving house:
- Relocation allowances paid via departmental funds (general ledger) may be offered at the department’s discretion.
- Relocation allowances paid via external funding (e.g. research grant) should be in line with any relevant terms and conditions. If the funder will not support the full relocation allowance, the department may choose to use internal funds to support the new starter.
The following factors should be considered when deciding whether or not to offer a relocation allowance:
- the need to recruit nationally or internationally to secure a suitable appointment (relocation allowances will not generally be paid where departments or division intend to recruit locally);
- the difficulty of recruiting to a particular post;
- the importance of the post to the academic and business needs of the department;
- the need to pay relocation costs in order to secure the appointment;
- affordability of the payment:
- any other material factors.
If it is known in advance that the department intends to pay a relocation allowance, this should normally be stated in the Additional Information section of the job description template, as follows: “Subject to HMRC regulations and the availability of funding, a relocation allowance may be available”.